Wednesday 2 October 2013

3DD-Making a structure that held up three balls

For this challenge I had to create a structure that supported three balls, however all three ball could not touch and the structure had to be 30cm off the ground. This structure had to be made out of 20 pieces of dried spaggeti and a hot glue gun. I started by sketching different ideas in order to come up for my final stucture, having done that I came up with the idea of having boxes stacked on top of each other. I started glueing the side panel for each box togther. This was quite difficult because the pieces would not hold togther, so I found myself adding more and more glue. Each of the three side panel had a square shape, as well as a X shape in which would insure that the balls would be secure. After I  decided that the next step would be to start create the base (bottom) of each box. I followed out the same process, adding the X shape so that the ball did not fall through. I carried out this process to make the rest of the levels of the tower. This idea was a success as it held all three balls, which did not touch.




 
I was then asked to support the structure I made as my teacher was going to throw a unkown object at it, so I had to protect my structure. My challenge involved me only using 1 A1 paper and 2 sheets of A4, that would be stuck together with glue. My first step was to scrunch up papper in a variety of sizes in which was added inside my stucture to support it againstg force. I then scrunched up paper and put it ove each panel. Having done this, I wrapped up paper around the whole structure. The final outcome involved my teacher throwing a basketball at my protected structure. My structure was successful in my opinion as it took him four attempts for my structure to collapse, however it still did not fully collapse until my class mate stamped on it.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment